Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Starting the New Year Off Right



Yesterday was New Year's Day and for my location in the Northern Dallas, TX area, it was wet and cold.  Perfect weather for running, and running is what I did.  I actually ran a 5K distance the night before; I wanted to run further, but my oldest daughter made me promise I would be back within a reasonable time since she wanted to play board games as a family and ring in the new year together.  But the quick in and out 5K was a good one.

I decided that I wanted to start the new year off with a good run and chose a 10K distance.  I wasn't sure at what pace I wanted to run, and decided that I would let my body dictate that.  I started the run at 10:12 AM with no breakfast before the run.  For some reason I tend to run better in the early morning without a full stomach.  (If you can call eight ounces full.)  The run itself was a good one and I felt I had a strong run, setting a new personal record in this distance with a time of 1:06:24.  I maintained a steady pace throughout the run, maintaining an average pace of 10:40 per mile.  I am going to keep that distance for my distance runs for now, and gradually start increasing them until I hit 14 miles.  Once I hit that distance and keep it up for a few weeks, and run my first half marathon, I'll start increasing the distance again, slowly building myself up to my first marathon.  That will not be anytime soon, but it will happen.

Here is the map from the Nike+ site I use.


Here are the split times:

I am looking to maintain approximately 21 to 25 miles a week running for now; this run was a great start.

If you get a chance, tell me how your running is going; I would love to hear from you!

Thanks for reading.  Have a great rest of the day!

No comments: