Monday, January 16, 2012

Weight: A Lifelong War To Win

There have been only a few times in my life when I haven't been fat.  Growing up until I hit eleven and a two year span from 1999 until 2001.  Besides those years of being at a normal weight, I have constantly been at a minimum of 100 pounds plus overweight.

But enough is enough and at 43, it is time to finally slim down to a healthy weight and keep it off.

At least according to my wife. 

So I received an email from Weight Watchers this morning thanking me for signing up.  Well, I didn't sign up, but the mystery was solved a few minutes later with an email from my wife saying I could thank her for signing me up.  That was her way of saying "Honey, I love you and want you to stay in our life for a really long time."  I am a very lucky man to have such a loving, caring wife.

So what does this mean to me?

Well, I have set some goals to meet, as well as a few challenges I intend to meet during this time of my life.  Here they are:
  1. Lose 5% of my weight for the first weight loss goal.  
  2. Walk (for now) a minimum of one (1) mile every day, no matter what the weather.  In the case of sickness, bank extra miles.  I want to complete at the minimum 356 miles this year.  (And since I am already 15 miles in the hole, I need to make up for lost time.)
  3. Participate in a race by the end of May.  I will probably walk it, but I want to participate in a 3 or 5K race.  I am not planning on winning, but I plan on finishing!  And as a side bonus, I plan on grabbing the kids and having them participate with me.
Those are the goals so far for the first 90 days or so.  I'll be updating the blog with how things are going.

Weight has been a battle for me all of my life, but this time I am not alone in the battle; I have loving help.  So this time I plan on winning not only the battle, but winning the war.

Oh, and the starting point for me?  360 pounds.  You can do the math on the rest.

Have a great day!

Eric

No comments: