Thursday, December 18, 2008

Barack Obama and Rick Warren

I have to admit that I did not see this one coming and I also have to admit that President-Elect Barack Obama's choice of Pastor Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration was a decision that I support completely. I am saddened though, in that it won't be Billy Graham doing it this time, but I am okay with Rick Warren doing it.

The problem is that the gay community is up in arms over this. They feel betrayed by the person they saw as a savior, and I for one, am saddened by the intolerance and prejudice of the gay community. I applaud President-Elect Obama's choice, and his continued approach to "bring America together".

A couple of quotes I have read so far have stood out to me:
The Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay rights organization, said Warren's opposition to gay marriage is a sign of intolerance.

"We feel a deep level of disrespect when one of the architects and promoters of an anti-gay agenda is given the prominence and the pulpit of your historic nomination," the group said in a letter to Obama, asking him to reconsider.
"By inviting Rick Warren to your inauguration, you have tarnished the view that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans have a place at your table," the letter said.
It is very hard for me to even consider their argument of intolerance a valid one. When the gay community actively attacks elderly Christian individuals, taking the cross and stomping and spitting on it, invading churches and interrupting peaceful services, all in the name of "protest", I know who is intolarant and it is not the Christians. Also, to say that President-Elect Obama has tarnished any view is utterly ridiculous. If anything he has shown a remarkable tolerance for most views that are brought to the table. Exactly what views are the gay community wanting brought to the table? Only their own? Again that is a ridiculous thing to ask for. America is not a gay nation. It was not founded on gay ideals, nor were the founding fathers gay.

It is a shame that those who most ask for tolerance are the ones who are themselves, the most intolerant of all other people who disagree with their viewpoints.

Bully for President-Elect Obama. Even though I did not vote for him, I really applaud this decision.

No comments: