Tuesday, December 09, 2008

The Christianity of Our President

I will not judge a man's walk with God. Never. However, when I read some of what our current President, George Bush, said about his faith, I took a long pause to let what I read sink in.

I consider myself an Evangelical, Conservative Christian. I am not perfect, and I have fallen numerous times and will continue to fall during my life here on this planet. However, there are some tenets of the Christian faith that I believe are not in dispute. One of these is the belief that the Bible is God's inspired Word give to his creation. A belief that EVERY word is literal. Not allegorical, not fiction, but a true, literal telling of the history of creation, God's plan for man, God's grace given through the sacrifice of His only Son, and what will happen in the future as told by the prophecies in the Bible.

So imagine my shock, when I read the following:
Interviewer Cynthia McFadden asked Bush if the Bible was literally true.

"You know. Probably not. ... No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it, but I do think that the New Testament for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is 'God sent a son,"' Bush said.

So our president does not believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible.

If the Bible is not true, but is just a story, a fictitious telling of a story that we are supposed to learn from, then I am fool as are millions of others on this planet. People who have DIED, who have been MURDERED to translate this book, to bring it to the masses of people begging to know the truth have died and were murdered in vain. All for a book President Bush says we can learn "a lot" from.

Another of the tenets of my faith is that when I pray to God, I am not praying to allah, nor to krishna, nor to any other god of this world. There is only one God, and that is the God of the Bible. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Now I do not even pretend to understand the Trinity; it is one of the tenets of my faith that I must put my faith in. But President Bush doesn't apparantly pray to same God I do.
The president also said that he prays to the same God as those with different religious beliefs.

"I do believe there is an almighty that is broad and big enough and loving enough that can encompass a lot of people," Bush said.

Then there is the quote I read from President Bush concerning evolution:
Asked about creation and evolution, Bush said: "I think you can have both. I think evolution can -- you're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president. But it's, I think that God created the earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution."
Mr. President, what proof is there of evolution? The last time I looked at evolution, it was still a theory that had yet to be proven. That is why they call it the THEORY of Evolution. As to the compatibility between Creation and evolution, I believe there is none. Either God created everything in six days and rested on the seventh, or God and the Bible are liars and we evolved from a monkey.

I for one don't believe that I am looking at my long lost uncle when I go to the zoo. God is not a liar, nor is the Bible a liar. As for what President Bush believes, that will be between him and God.

You can find the article here.

No comments: