Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blended Families

Most people would say I have a blended family, and when you look at it on the surface, I do. I say however, I simply have a family. Not blended, but a real family.

I was raised mostly in a single parent home. My father left my mother when she was pregnant with me, and I never met him. My brother's father, who was really the only Father figure I had in life, and my mother divorced when I was 8. My brother was 2. After that it was a single mom taking care of two growing boys, working two jobs and doing the best that she could.

So I know about having a step dad. But in all of my memories, he never referred to me as his stepson. I was always his son, to his friends and to his family.

It hit me today, when I saw an email from someone I know, talking about he she had to go to her stepson's school for something or another, that I will never understand the concept of the "step" or blended family. Even though my family qualifies for that designation.

My oldest daughter is technically my stepdaughter. I am not the one who fathered her, and she does know this. But to everyone I have introduced her to, she is, and always will be, my first born child, my oldest daughter.

She is the one who is the artist, the dreamer, the writer, the poet. She is the one who will break the boy's heart's; and she is the one that will give me a heart attack when she starts dating.

She is my oldest daughter and I love her with all the love I can give her as her daddy can.

I plan on doing a study on Joseph, Jesus' earthly father, as he is perhaps the one all stepdads should look to for guidance. Jesus wasn't his, but he loved him, taught him carpentry, and helped him in all ways, that I can be sure of. I want to be like Joseph, and be the dad that my girls, both of them, deserve to have.

So even though I may technically be part of a blended family, and be a stepdad, I would disagree with you. You see, I have two daughters whom I both love and adore, and wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: