Thursday, June 04, 2009

I Was In Prison This Past Saturday

You never know what freedom is like until you've been to prison, even for one day. As I posted earlier, I had signed up to go with the Bill Glass Prison Ministry to one of two prison facilities in Bonham, TX this past Saturday. It was an interesting experience.

Let me give you the facts of the trip first:

There were 411 men and women who went as volunteers. Bikers, Professionals, you name the social status and it was represented. In fact there were so many volunteers that the ministry was turning people away! 300 went to the Choice Moore Unit, and 110 joined me at the Buster Cole State Jail Facility. There had to have been over 100 bikers there, (and yes, they call themselves bikers) with mostly Harleys, but there were some Hondas, and other Japanese bikes.

The speakers included Keith Davis of the New York Giants, Rich Garza, the Chaplain for the San Antonio Spurs, Another who's name escapes me at the moment, and Jack Meeks, the famous NASCAR driver, who brought the winning car from Daytona with him. There was a band that played most of the day, Namesake. If you hear that this band will be playing near you, I suggest you go see them. They were fantastic!

The main reason we were there was to tell them the Good News of Christ, and what it meant, and how to receive Christ and become a follower of Christ. I won't call it a success, but the final talley was 111 verbal commitments, surrendering to Jesus, 10 rededications and several who reconfirmed their faith. Now it is up to the chaplaincy to help these baby Christians grow in their faith.

Now, my personal experience went like this: when we were in Freshman training, I had the chance to ask the chaplain if he had any Wiccans, Pagans, or Druids on the site. He affirmed that he did, and that was the end of that, or so I thought. God did have a devine appointment for me I believe, because of the first two men I approached, one was a follower of Christ, and his bunkmate was Wiccan! I don't believe in coincidence. Now, Joshua, the Wiccan did not make a commitment to Jesus that day, but I believe that a seed was planted, just as one was planted in my heart 12 years ago. Joshua and I talked for most of the time I was there, and he did promise to read the Bible again, but with a fresh perspective.

I ask everyone who reads this to pray for him, for protection from the army of darkness that surrounds him and his family, to lift him up and for people to give him Godly counsel about this. In other words, let there be someone to water that seed planted. Two others I ask prayer for are Matthew and Austin.

So that is it for now. I will describe the actual feelings of being on the inside, if only for a day at a later time.

Until then, have a blessed day!

No comments: