Saturday, September 11, 2010

I remember 9/11

We had said our wedding vows two days earlier in Las Vegas.  My wife's parents were still there.  We woke up to a day that was sunny and bright, and I settled in to work from home, and my wife was heading out to work.  I turned on the television to CNN like I always did and saw that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center Towers.  I thought to myself  wow!  As I worked, I looked up and saw the second plane crash into the other tower.

At that point I thought "What the hell?".  Hell was what it was to become as I watched the events of 9/11 unfold from my living room in Dallas, TX.  After the Pentagon was hit, I called my wife and she said she was coming home.  The area she worked in was being evacuated as a precaution.

The hardest thing to watch, and I still remember the images as clear as day nine years later, were of people jumping off of the Trade Center Towers to their deaths below on live television.  The other image I will never forget was seeing clear skies over Dallas.  No airplanes in the sky at all.  My wife and I knew the world had changed forever.

On this day, I ask you to take a moment and pause and reflect, and then offer a prayer to God.  Pray for those who lost loved ones on that day, many of whom still need some sort of closure.  Pray for the situation in New York over the proposed mosque near ground zero.  Pray for those who would commit an offense like this again, that they would meet Jesus and renounce those radical ways.  And pray for our country an the leaders of this country.  Most of all just pray.

No comments: