Tuesday, October 04, 2011

A Review of Average Joe: God's Extraordinary Calling To Ordinary Men by Troy Meeder


After reading Average Joe: God's Extraordinary Calling To Ordinary Men by Troy Meeder, I know that I am an Average Joe and I have a lot to work on. 

Mr. Meeder is what I would consider more than an Average Joe, but I believe he would disagree with me.  Mr. Meeder is a cowboy from Oregon who has lived what most people would call an ordinary life, but has gained much wisdom in his life and that wisdom is characterized very nicely in his book.  He tells of his wisdom and the wisdom of others in the chapters of the book, ranging from Mr. Meeder's learning humility in a pit he dug that was rapidly filling with raw sewage, to  a gardener he met while attending college, to his grandfather, a soldier, and a mentor just to name a few.  

This is a book that I think every man should read, and with the study guide and questions provided in the back of the book, study.  I came across a few items while reading this book, two in particular which challenge me even now and apply directly to my life.  I firmly believe that most every man that reads this book will have the same experience and this book would be a good addition to a men's study group.

The book itself is quite short, having only 147 pages, and is a very easy read.  Mr. Meeder's style of writing is very folksy, and quite entertaining.  For me, reading this book reminded me of sitting around a campfire listening to an older, more grizzled man, wise beyond his years spill his life experiences to a captive audience of eager youth.  I think you may find it the same way.

I am highly recommending this book.

 Please note that this book was presented to me by Multnomah Books for the purpose of reviewing the book.  I did not promise, nor in any way indicate a positive or negative review to the publisher.  The review as presented is mine and mine alone.

No comments: