Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Review of Waking Hours by Lis Wiehl with Pete Nelson


In the genres of Christian Fiction especially the Supernatural genre, I have a few writers that I read and believe to be the best of the genre.  Among those are Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker.  After finishing Waking Hours I will now add Lis Wiehl to that list of writers. 

Waking Hours is book one of the East Salem Trilogy and is one of the best supernatural mysteries I have read in a very long time.  Set in the town of East Salem in Northern Westchester County, a teenage girl dies a gruesome, ritualistic death which rocks the community.  The District Attorney's office brings in Danielle "Dani" Harris, a forensic psychiatrist to aid in the investigation.  As this is her first solo involvement, Harris shows herself to be nervous, but quite capable to handle the assignment. 

Alongside Dani Harris is Tommy Gunderson, the town's hero.  A former NFL football star, Gunderson is owner of a health and fitness club in the town and an aspiring private investigator.  He is the essential All American good guy:  Christian, clean cut, and definitely the hero type.

As this is a work of Christian fiction, you will not find cursing in it, nor will you find items of a sexual nature.  However, I would not recommend this book to pre-teens as I believe that the details of the murder scene and the corresponding notes from the medical examiner as they are discussed may be too mature for those under 13. 

The book is not "preachy" in it's Christianity and I believe that to be a plus, as this book would be a good gift to friends who like this particular genre and may not be Christian.  

Overall I am rating this book a five out of five and am looking forward to the next books in the trilogy.  If you read one book from Supernatural Mystery genre, then this would be the one I recommend!

(Disclosure:  I did receive an advanced copy of this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers to review and made no promises as to the nature of my review.  The posted review is mine and mine alone.)

1 comment:

keri said...

Great review. I agree--fantastic book. Lis Wiehl and Pete Nelson are a winning team when it comes to writing suspense! I really enjoyed reading this book, even though it was somewhat creepy. It was a great reminder that evil does exist in this world, and is actively seeking to destroy what is good. I loved the main character, Dani, and genuinely felt scared for her when weird stuff would happen. All of the characters were very well developed and realistic because they didn’t always do what you’d expect. I also loved the little romance part of the book. By the way, the author has the first chapter available to read, for free, at her website: http://liswiehlbooks.com