Sunday, January 11, 2009

Marley and Me With My Daughter

I went with my oldest daughter yesterday to see Marley and Me. My oldest is nine years old and if you have not seen the movie, then you might not want to read anymore of this, as I will give some of the movie's plot away.

Now, I give you my daughter's age because some of the scenes in the movie are a bit risque. There is no real nudity to speak of, though the two main characters go skinny dipping and you know what is happening when they start kissing. It's a bit disconcerting to watch a movie when the adults are kissing, naked and your nine year old daughter is sitting next to you. I looked over at her, slightly embarrassed, and she had her eyes hidden, holding our bag of popcorn in front of her face.

There was some cursing in the movie, and several jokes about the lower male anatomy, with the jokes being told by the men in the movie, and lots of more adult issues than I was aware of for this movie. if you see this movie, bring lots of tissue. Marley has to be put down at the end because of old age and a twisted stomach. As a dog lover, it really hit home, and even if you're not a dog lover, you'll cry. There were not many dry eyes in the theater, and mine were not dry as I cried over the death of Marley.

My daughter liked the movie but was disappointed because there were some parts of the book left out of them movie. One, a toboggan scene, was not in the movie and according to my daughter, was the funniest scene from the whole book. Another part left out was at the end, where the Grogen family, the owner's of Marley, found a story written in a newspaper about a dog just like Marley.

I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5. My daughter gives it 3. We both say see it.

No comments: