Saturday, November 10, 2012

Today's Spirit Run! 5K Results and Thoughts


Today I ran the Spirit Run! 5K in Richardson, TX and what a great time and a great race it was!  The course was laid out so that we ran on city streets and on concrete paths in a local park at at four different spots, local high school students were set up to cheer on the runners.  One high school had their drum line, cheerleaders and I believe members of their dance team cheering us on, while the other high schools represented had their varsity and junior varsity cheerleaders cheering.  It really was a cool experience to run the gauntlet of the cheering sections that had been set up.

The day itself was very windy, with temperatures in the mid 60's.  In the shade it was actually quite chilly.  I had thought to wear my colder weather gear (long compression pants and long sleeve compression shirt), but had decided against it.  I'm glad I did.  Once we started the race and found our way to the sunshine, it warmed up quickly.  For a while it was partly cloudy, but by the race's end most of the clouds had dispersed.

I decided that I wanted to try and push my pace this race and see about accomplishing a goal I had set, which was to run this 5K in under 30 minutes.  I set the coaching part of my iPhone app I use, MapMyFitness, to track my pace and it would announce the pace I was running every minutes.  The pace I set was a 10:15 mile pace; I realize that I would not really make the goal I set with that pace, but my thoughts centered on running faster than that pace.

I ran this race with a friend of mine and we sort of fed off of each other during the race.  We kept up with each other until the last quarter mile or so.  I started sprinting the very last part as I really wanted that goal.  We both did really well this race and both of us set new personal records!  I was very proud of him as this was the fastest pace he had run yet.

So how did I do?  See for yourself.

Not too bad for my third 5K race!

I finished this race in 30:14 and finished 5th out of 12 racers in my age bracket and 95th out of 317 overall.  I came close to my goal, but despite running a 9:44 mile pace, at 6.15 mph, I didn't hit it.  
Blame it on running faster than I ever have, but I forgot to pause and save right after crossing the finish line, hence the longer than normal 5K distance!

Then after looking at the split times of this race I figured out why.

The race split times.  Notice the time for mile three.

My mile three split was above a 10 minute mile pace.  That one time is what cost me my goal.  Between mile marker two and mile marker three was a circular ramp we had to run up and move from the lower level of the park to the higher level of the street.  This was a difficult time for a lot of runners and for my friend and I, this part of the race course slowed us down and it was this small section that cost me my goal.

Like I stated earlier, I didn't make my goal, but I did set a new personal record (PR).  The last 5K race I ran back in October, the Lost Dog 5K, I ran it in 33:04.  Well, today I ran the Spirit Run! 5K in 30:14.  I shaved 2:50 off my last personal record!  Not too shabby.

So what's next for me?  Looks like it will be the Turkey Trot in Dallas on Thanksgiving Day.  It's the largest and oldest Turkey Trot 5K in the nation and they are expecting something like 45,000 runners!  Now that will be an experience I am looking forward to!  My goals for that race?  Run it in under 30 minutes.  That's my biggest goal right now.  When I get that one down it will be time to really turn on the afterburners and move faster.

Thank you for reading.  Have a great rest of the day!

1 comment:

The Capital One Bank Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot said...

We're so glad you'll be joining us on Thanksgiving Day! Looking forward to seeing you cross the finish line!