Friday, November 16, 2012

Waiting on the Sidelines During Surgery

My oldest daughter's four hour surgery ended about 3:30 this afternoon.  It was a necessary surgery, one that was needed to fix a hole in her upper palate and her nose, so that she could breathe easier.  You see, my oldest daughter was born with a bilateral cleft lip and palate and this is her fifth, sixth surgery.  I know that sounds horrible that I can't remember how many off the top of my head, but that's simply me and my forgetfulness.

As a dad, I want to be able to protect my girls, to let them know that I have their back, and I will take care of them.  I want them to know that they can come to me with whatever problems they have and if I can help, I will.  If they simply want me to listen, then I will listen.  I'm not the best dad out there, but I do my best and I love my girls unconditionally with my whole heart.  Like any parent, I would die for my kids. 

But there are sometimes in life a parent simply must stand on the sideline and silently wait as others take up a mantle the parent cannot.  So I waited at home with our youngest daughter (who was sick herself today) and my wife waited at the hospital. 

The surgeons on the team are some of the best and we trust them, but we both still asked our friends for their prayers, to cover our daughter, this surgery and us as parents.  I personally believe that God answers our prayers, either with a "yes", "no" or "not at this time", and I know He answered these specific prayers with a "yes".  Faith is a great thing to have when you have to stand on the sidelines while others take care of your kids.  Faith in Christ has carried me many times since I surrendered to Him; this was another time.  I give Him all the glory for this successful surgery and I am forever grateful.

She is still at the hospital now, at 6:24 in the evening and is sleeping.  This is supposed to be a day surgery, and she is supposed to be heading home after her recovery from the surgery.  Right now we don't have a timeframe for her to come home, but that's okay.  My time, our time on the sidelines waiting is over and we can go back to being the parents who can be there and protect the girls and take care of their problems.

Thank you God for the opportunity you have given me to be dad to my girls.

Thanks for reading.  Have a great rest of the day.

No comments: