Friday, October 05, 2012

Revisiting My Fitness Goals

Yesterday I started playing catch-up with my blog and let you know how I have done on my weight loss since I last posted (which was simply way too long).  Today I wanted to catch you up on how I am doing with my fitness goals.

When I posted back in July, I had not yet started a fitness program to speak of; I was simply riding my bike on the local trails and at times walking those same trails as well as the roads in and around my neighborhood.  Now granted, I was doing fairly well, averaging about five to six miles per bike ride, and between three and five miles on my walks.  However, I wanted more, as I show below (taken from my goals back on July 31, 2012).  Because I had so many goals, I am going to break them down individually at first.

    • To start and finish the Couch to 5K program and run my first 5K race.
 When I first wrote down this goal, I hated running, but I knew I needed to do it.  I have never been a runner in my life and when I was forced to do it, I ran, but did not like it.  Fast forward to today and I am passionate about running!  I really like it!  Not only did I start the Couch to 5K training program, I am four daily sessions from finishing it!  I am currently on week seven day three and will start the final week, week eight on Monday.

Apart from starting the C25K training program and about to finish it, I actually ran my first 5K race back on September 23, 2012!  My stats from the race is shown below:

Results from my very first 5K - 9/23/2012


Crossing the finish line in my very first 5K!

The next goal I had listed was to run a 5K race with my family, specifically the Turkey Trot in November.  That goal is still on, but we'll have to see how it goes.  I'm hoping to at least be able to run it with my wife.  Not sure if the kids will be able to or not.
    • To run a 5K race with my family.
      • Turkey Trot is the first one I want to do. 
The goal after that I have actually met.  I am now running on average 5 times a week at 4 to 4.5 miles with a pace of 11:20 per mile.  That's 5.2 miles per hour.  Some days I am faster, some I am slower, but I enjoy it!
    • To be able to jog a minimum of 3.5 miles 4 times a week.
 The rest of the goals below still remain future goals that I will work on.  I realize that this journey I am on is a slow one, and as Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will my healthy life be built quickly.  These goals will be met though.  Just six months ago who would have thought that I would be running on an almost daily basis, and drop over a hundred pounds?  If I can do that, anything is possible.
    • To be able to bike a minimum of 10 miles 3 times a week.
    • To be able to swim a minimum of 1 mile 3 times a week.
      • After achieving this goal I want to start increasing that distance every month until I can swim 2 to 3 miles at a time.
    •  To be able to start training for my first Sprint Triathlon.
    • To compete in my first Triathlon.
      • Sprint first
      • Olympic second
      • Ironman eventually
So that's it so far for fitness.  I have another race to prepare for and I will post more on that tomorrow!

Until then, have a great rest of the day!

No comments: