Friday, October 26, 2012

Thursday's Long Run...My First 10K distance!

There are sometimes when my body surprises me and last night was one of those times.

We had a cold front move through the region yesterday and I thought that I would do a run last night with a stiff north wind blowing.  When I started my run, the air temperature was at 57 degrees and by the time I had finished, the temperature had dropped to 55 degrees.  With the windchill, it actually felt like 44 degrees or so during my run.  I decided to run in long compression pants with shorts and a long sleeved compression top worn with a tech fit running shirt over that.  I decided to play it safe and wore running gloves as well.  Yes, I probably looked a little weird, but I was determined to stay warm!  To finish my ensemble, I wore a tight fitting ball cap with an attached light on the brim.

I had decided that I wanted this to be an easy run.  I really did not want to do a speed run, where I try to do a PR (personal record) each and every time I run one of my speed runs, instead, I wanted something a little more leisurely.  I wanted to try and stay at a pace of 11:30 to 11:45 minutes per mile.  when you look at the stats below, you can see that I actually finished the run at a pace of 11:35 so I accomplished that part of the goal.  It was the distance goal I set of 4.5 miles that surprised me.  I actually finished with a distance of 6.58 miles!  I ran my first 10K distance last night and I am excited about that.  Now that I have broken that barrier, I plan on trying for that distance at least once a week.  Now it's time to break the time for that distance and really get going on training.

Here are the stats for my run last night:

The stats for my first 10K+ distance.

Here are the split times.  Again, I wasn't trying to break any land speed records here, but wanted a nice steady, respectable pace.  I believe I got was I was looking for.

Split times for my first 10+ distance.
So that's my long run for the week.  Here's to many, many more.  Thanks for reading and have a great rest of the day!

No comments: